wb-discuss

Re: [Wb-discuss] Re: Wb-discuss Digest, Vol 5, Issue 3

From: Aubrey Jaffer
Subject: Re: [Wb-discuss] Re: Wb-discuss Digest, Vol 5, Issue 3
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 15:21:04 -0400 (EDT)

 | Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 14:27:25 -0400
 | From: zhang xin cheng <address@hidden>
 |
 | I have some problem regarding the remove.  I do some test to add
 | 1000 items in the btree, and remove them, I use bt-get and check
 | all things have been removed, however, the size of the file which
 | store the btree has not decrease.

WB does not shrink its files because it doesn't move blocks; it could
shrink the file only if the blocks deleted happened to be consecutive
at the end of the file.

What might be a more useful behavior is if WB were to fill unused
blocks with zeros; that way, the unused blocks would not occupy any
space on disk (at least in unix filesystems).  However, the reported
file lengths would not be affected.