web-hurd

Re: Development news

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Development news
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 15:26:45 +0100 (MET)

   > What about doing only one and having a link to the NEWS file?
   > Seems like to redundant to be for any use IMHO.

   Pointing is not enough. People need to see at first that work is
   going on. Then there would be no more questions like "Is someone
   working on it", "your last news entry is half a year old, are you
   dead?", <your favorite still-alive-nag>.

Having development news entries wouldn't help with that at all.  The
"is someone working on this" question is normal in any project; and
should be asked! Recall that the development news would only list
things that are already _done_.  As for the "your last news entry is
half a year old", who knows, it might take that much time before
anyone does anything; just look at the past 6 months!

   Moreover, HTML is more beautiful than plain text in a graphical
   browser.

And you always have access to the source code, but not to a web
browser.  Recall also that some people don't use the web at all, or
not very frequently.

I find it a pain to use in fact, since I sometimes don't have a net
connection.  With a CVS tree I can update it, disconnect, and still
have all the stuff I need.  This can't easily be done for web-pages.