www-zh-cn-authors

[Chinese-authors] chaplain

From: Jock Womack
Subject: [Chinese-authors] chaplain
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 12:00:52 +0300

His right handfinding the opening in his shirt front, he scratched pleasurablyat his chest.
Humphreys merely staredat the invasion with pugnacious resentment. He could see between the sparse treesto the cookers, drawn up a little off the road. We have onlygot to get into the loft here every morning, and we have a coupleof days rest.
Someone was evidently inspecting theirbillets. I rather deprecated any extreme measures.
He gulped histea, and his watery eyes turned towards Bourne with a cunningmalevolence.
It was some time since they had marched bynight.
Then the officer cameto the concluding paragraph of the instructional letter.
I gave im some o your toffeeslast night, an we was talkin about you. Ive got a few good ones left, but Im running out of gaspers. Shewould not have Humphreys in the house, but said he might remainwhere he was.
I think I am the oldest soldier here, so that naturally Im incharge.
If we all end on the mat, I am the person who will bearthe chief responsibility.
Weeper gave him one glance of deprecatory grief, and relapsed intoa prudent silence. A Company would join upwith them at the crossroads, marching to meet them from Vincly.
I expected a small parcel of cigarettes, said Bourne innocently. On that errand he raninto Evans, now servant to the new colonel.
Thats what the court ofinquiry said about Patsy Popes false teeth.
Please yourself, said Bourne reflectively; but I would just assoon go out with the company.
Itll look dam funny im pullin is coat out evry time ewants is towl, wont it?
You take up your kit, and get down that bloodyladder quick. A few minutes later, Bourne again sawthe old cure of Vincly. Yes, he answered a little harshly, accepting bitterly all theimplications in the question.