www-zh-cn-authors

[Chinese-authors] Good Book

From: Stella Dooley
Subject: [Chinese-authors] Good Book
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 15:20:30 +0300

Thinking very hard, it seemed that Tuktus voice was rounderand fuller than before. He sawthat the old woman was right and chewed the faster. I went out to find if I could perhapssee, but everything is black.
The blind man stumbled to the mouth of the tunnel and stretched himselfacross it.
To-morrow we shall try to kill something, but hemust not know if we have meat.
At all this, Pituluk, a lean Husky, had gazed calmly far years.
Then,mounting a thousand feet, he flew round and round in swift and anxiouscircles.
Pituluk woke with a start, for the soundof scratching of mighty claws came through the igloo wall. A strong man was Pituluk, even in his blindness. Pituluk tried to think of the words he once heard a whaling captain usewhen he was very angry.
Pituluk closed his burning lids, then opened them because they smartedthe more.
His face was stillplastered with the discharge from closed and swollen lids.
I am not sorry that he is blind, said the latter, and perhaps he willnever see again.
Pituluk said nothing, but he was aware of a difference he did notunderstand. There were so manyother men abroad in the North.
See, we will nottake it into the igloo, but keep it here under the stones.
She reached ahead of him, and handed it quickly to Tuktu.
He was a big bear, said Tuktu regretfully, and without doubt there wasmuch meat on him.
As one they answered and swung royally to their appointed places in theascending slant. As to the blind one he felt evenmore sorry.
The blind man pushed on with dwindling force.
The man in front wascarrying both pack-sacks, which loomed up mountainously in the palewhite light. Two hundred yards away a man was floundering in the snow, his arms wavingdespairingly. With an exclamation he twistedhis feet free and began to dig. The first man stood, till suddenly the truth was clear and he steppedswiftly forward. She was staring at a dog that lurched towardthem, his belly bulging.
The blind man heard, andhalted at once, his ears accomplishing a double duty.
He didnot think much of his own distress, but of the one in front. He was a big bear, said Tuktu regretfully, and without doubt there wasmuch meat on him. Ah-hoo-nah, ah-hoo-nah, the greatfish seemed to sigh, and saw them not. Why then should you care if Istop hunting? Pituluk closed his burning lids, then opened them because they smartedthe more.
See, we will nottake it into the igloo, but keep it here under the stones. She could justsee it in the faint flicker of the lamp.
Presently theblind man sighed deeply and a quiver ran through his frame.
Followed a staccato of barking, the gasps of a scufflingfight, and a long howl of pain. His face expressed no fear, but justa dumb wonder that this thing should have come to him. Pituluk said nothing, but he was aware of a difference he did notunderstand. The rescuer peeredat the river, where it seemed something was moving, mysteriously uncouth. Tuktu, to make sure, paused till the hooded head pushed through.