www-zh-cn-authors

[Chinese-authors] tollbooth custom-made

From: Deborah Peters
Subject: [Chinese-authors] tollbooth custom-made
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 14:46:58 +0900

It seemed settled then that Adam and Dismukes were to meet in some vagueplace at some vague time.
Youve got the best of me, said Dismukes, shaking hands. It seems that always nature strikes mewith its terrible mace!
But youll want to go through it all an youll goback again.
I gave her away to a boy who starved on the desert.
Never a sight of a green palo verde but a pang struck through hisbreast!
The life suited Adam, for heknew Charley Jim did not frequent the trails of white men. Aspectre, weird and grotesque as a yucca tree, loomed out there in theshadows of the desert night.
Wansfell, youre a young man, though Isee grey over your temples. Well, just the same, now that youre headin up into thiscountry, I advise you to be careful.
Wansfell, youre thebest-built man I ever saw on the desert.
Didnt you look him up on purpose to kill him?
The moment was fraught with keen pain and a melancholyassurance of the changes time had made. That is well, for it is what God intended. And also there was some significance in his bringing Adamthere. Hourshe consecrated to remorse, to regret, to suffering, to punishment. His _expression_ changed, but it was not with recognition. But when you domeet them life seems intensified.
A tranquillity, a veil seemed to have been rent. I wonder how itll be withme when my hour comes to leave the desert.
And that seemed to hold something fatalisticand inevitable.
Say, you dont pack all that money along with you? His great ox eyes, rolling and dark, bent a strange,curious glance over Adams lofty figure.
Ive goneso deep, but I cant go any deeper. Tecopah was just a water-hole for me, replied Adam. There seemed to be a sad pleasure in thusbaffling the old prospector. Dismukes, how near are you to getting all your five hundred thousand? How cold and pure, untainted by dust or life oruse! If I made you my wife it might be to your shame and sorrow. Helashed his soul with bitter thoughts, lest he forget and find peace.
It seemed settled then that Adam and Dismukes were to meet in some vagueplace at some vague time.
I cant find any hope out there inthe desert.
Of courseIve had to go to freighting posts and camps. Ive guided wagon trains across the Mohave.