www-zh-cn-authors

[Chinese-authors] glory

From: Lauretta Brooks
Subject: [Chinese-authors] glory
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 20:42:07 -0700

It seems a shame tolet it rot away back there after youve paid out all that money forit. After that there was nothing to do except to curse and beat theirfists into the wall. And most of their money, too, Eugene cried. They were what they were, and they had no more to say. Talking about me whenmy back is turned, hey?
Arent you going to try to get any use out of it at all?
Id like to study about it a little first. All right, Helen said in a hard and hostile voice. Andthis also has been true of every youth that ever walked the earth. Their curses,prayers, oaths, persuasions and strangled cries availed themnothing. It all seems wonderful to you, and you thinkthat you cant live without it, but you forget about it. Whos that sitting up there in the front seat?
F-f-f-frankly, Id like to have the satisfaction of knowing youd hadTHAT much out of it! Howd you like some great big wonderfulsliced tomatoes with mayonnaise? Now Ivenever seen anything yet I couldnt do if I had to! You are one of the young men whosework we are watching with the greatest interest . Autumn had come sharp and quick that year.
Do yousee how she can rent that room out to any cheap lodger who comesalong? Itsall given away to real-estate men or thrown away for motor carsthey never use.
Doyou understand how she can ever bear to go back in there?
Why, child, she said gravely, Id be afraid youd go and hurtyourself. Must I have you around meevery moment of my life?
After that there was nothing to do except to curse and beat theirfists into the wall. Youd get down on your hands and knees, and crawl if he spoke toyou, wouldnt you?
A few leaves, sere and yellow, from the maplesin the yard were drifting slowly to the ground.
Am Inever to get a moments peace or quiet? No, what is more, she had evenrefused to sell it later, although a man had made her a good offer.
Id like to study about it a little first.
Dont criticize other people until you show youve got it inyou to support yourself, she said. When he told him Blackstone, he demanded at once that he leavethe service car and come with him. Must I have you around meevery moment of my life?
Wy, whats there to be afraidof, in Gods name?
Its time for you to quit this foolishness and get ajob!
Now, his mother said sternly, as she levelled her index finger athim, I want to tell you something!
I used to think that you couldchange them.
She had beaten them all, and they knew it.
Then, as she started to go, she added casually: Honey, come onover for supper, if you want to.
Itsall given away to real-estate men or thrown away for motor carsthey never use. No, child, she said gravely, as she shook herhead.