xnee-devel

Re: [Xnee-devel] Switching screen resolution moves my program window and

From: Henrik Sandklef
Subject: Re: [Xnee-devel] Switching screen resolution moves my program window and xnee cannot follow it.
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 22:11:06 +0100

On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 13:58 +0200, Veijo Ryhänen wrote:
> I installed xorg-x11-Xnest-6.8.2-1.FC3.45.2.i386.rpm and after that
> command:
>
>   Xnest :1

Here you start Xnee and give it a new listening socket address (since
you specify ":1").

> works fine.
>
> But I did't success with "-geometry" -parameter.
> Command: "history|grep geometry|wc" shows that I tried
> 47 different combination. For example:
>
> DISPLAY=:1;Xnest -geometry 1024x768+0+0 -display :1

If I am not totally wrong, I think You start Xnest the wrong way here I
think. Here you try to to start Xnest on display :1 (do you have a
server there?) and give it listening socket address :0 (which is
default).

I think you want to do:
   Xnest -geometry 1024x768+0+0 :1

"-display arg" or "DISPLAY=arg" says to Xnest to use that Server
instead of the default (typically :0).

X and Xnest can sometimes be confusing :)

Read the USAGE section of the Xnest manual. Or try the gdmXnestchooser
(se below).

> Fatal server error:
> Server is already active for display 0
>         If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
>         and start again.

It says here that you are trying to start Xnest on :0 where your current
Xserver is running.... Try to start XNest using new socket connections
(by saying :1).

> I had to kill Xnest several times, because Ctrl+c did'nt work.
> I think that there is something wrong in Xnest and so do
> manual page for Xnee too:
>
> "BUGS
>        Won't run well on servers supporting different visual  depths.
> Still
>        crashes randomly.  Probably has some memory leaks."
That may be the case elasewhre, but not in your case I think.

To get your tests started /which is what we want) please try the
following (600x400 resolution, which may of course be changed)
  gdmXnestchooser --xnest="Xnest -geometry 600x400+0+0 :1"

Allthough I think that gdmXnestchooser may solve the titlebar problem
you talk in another email, but please continue reading there as well :)

Allthough Xephyr and Xnest are very powerful but they can be confusing.
I am here if you want more help with them :)

/hesa