xnee-devel

Re: [Xnee-devel] [Fwd: AW: AW: [sr #103871] Verifying GUI-Testresults wi

From: Henrik Sandklef
Subject: Re: [Xnee-devel] [Fwd: AW: AW: [sr #103871] Verifying GUI-Testresults with xnee using theTool "xgrabsc"]
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 22:33:44 +0100

Thanks for your input Dirk :)

On Mon, 2006-02-06 at 21:49 +0100, Henrik Sandklef wrote:
> email message attachment, "Forwarded message - AW: AW: [sr #103871]
> Verifying GUI-Testresults with xnee using theTool "xgrabsc""

We need not use XTest for that. XMoveWindow will do fine :)

> > Hm. I think, we should save the windowposition and the windowname while
> > recording into the sessionfile.

Good, it is already added in my local copy of the source.

...and yes, old Xnee can replay newer files and vice versa :)

> > I don't really know the synchronisation functionality of xnee.
> > Maybe this is still integrated in xnee and I should record more xevents
> > ?

I am not sure what you mean here... can you pleasr state the question
again.

> > What is the effect of this ?
> >
> > We could change the windowposition automaticly, whenever we need a given
> > position while replaying and taking ever the same screenshots of our
> > application.
> >
> > How can we change the windowposition automaticly?
> >
> > Read the saved position of window and its name "xxx" from the
> > sessionfile.
> > Then make automaticly a mousemove (klick on the title of the window
> > named "xxx" in the top left corner and drag the window)
> > to position x, y.

This solution depends on the Window Manger used. We can't even be sure
that the window manager uses borders.

I'll go for XMoveWindow...

> > So we can handle the recorded screenshots to ever and ever the same
> > coordinates on the same window.
> >
> > I don't think, that the users should give the coordinates to xnee with a
> > call-parameter (x,y offset).
> > I think, xnee should record coordinates and names of the windows to
> > place windows on offset x,y while replaying.

I agree. This is only useful (I think) when having a window that covers
the entire screen being replayed to a screen (still covering the whole
screen) with different resolution........

> > Should xnee integrate this functionality? I don't know.

I will start hacking on a XMoveWindow.
During record this will happen:
- record as specified by user
- record ReparentNotify as well
- when getting a ReparentNotify, print new enrty containing name,x,y of
the new window to session file

During replay this will happen
- replay as usual
- when seeing the new printout, pause recording (we record during replay
to sync)
 - move window to position as when recorded
 - resume recording (we record during replay to sync)

Another solution would be to translate every Motion to the new window's
coordinates. I (now) think this is a bad idea..... perhaps (upon
request) it will be implemented.... but not now!

/h