xnee-devel

Re: [Xnee-devel] Xnee and multi-screen

From: Henrik Sandklef
Subject: Re: [Xnee-devel] Xnee and multi-screen
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2008 18:32:59 +0100

Ramsey, Michael J (N-Ramsey SW Eng Integ) skrev:
> My system under test (SUT) uses Multi-Screen (Single X-Server) to
> control
>
> two separate displays.  My system's environment variables are set as
> follows:
>
>   DISPLAY = host:0.0
>
>   DISPLAY_LEFT = host:0.0
>
>   DISPLAY_RIGHT = host:0.1
>

> Because we are using one X-server to manage two displays
>
> without using Xinerama,

what do you use instead of Xinerama?

> the two displays are loosely related.  For
> example,
>
> you can move the mouse between them, drag and drop between them, and
>
> cut-and-paste between them.  Windows however are defined either on one
>
> display or (xor) the other.  Windows can't be dragged across displays
>
> nor can they span displays.

So I guess you're not using Virtual in the “Display” SubSection in
xorg.conf?

> Given this, wouldn't the RECORD extension record events for both
> displays?

If you record (using Xnee) when you move your mouse/pointer from top
left on left monitor to bottom right on right monitor. Does Xnee record
that?

> And if so, wouldn't XTEST replay those same events across both displays?

Xnee replays to one display.

> Or do both RECORD and XTEST operate at the DISPLAY level and not at the
> X-server level?

I am not sure what you mean?

Xnee gets copies of the data (such as events) sent and received by the X
server on one display. So the X server copies the communication and
gives Xnee the copies.

At the moment we're not considering multiple display (same server)
functionality. There's no time for that at the moment. Would this solve
your problem?