xwem-devel

Re: [XWEM]: Re: Debugging xwem

From: Zajcev Evgeny
Subject: Re: [XWEM]: Re: Debugging xwem
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 09:00:31 +0400

Steve Youngs <address@hidden> writes:

> * Zajcev Evgeny <address@hidden> writes:
>
>   > Steve Youngs <address@hidden> writes:
>   >> Is there something I can tweak in edebug that will allow me to step
>   >> through functions that are defined with `define-xwem-command'?
>
>   > Hmm, i dont use edebug, so can't help sorry, but only one thing.  As i
>   > remember edebug enters recursive mode, that can cause some problems,
>   > if recursive mode is not handled by xwem, for example you have
>   > `debug-on-error' set to t and while executing some xwem command error
>   > occurs.  Further X events executing will not be done.  So if you have
>   > no access to Emacs frame at moment you will lose control over xwem.
>
> I suppose it is about time that I learned how to drive XEmacs' native
> debugger.  I've been spoiled with edebug. :-)
>
> It's just that I'm getting a lot of "wrong number of arguments:
> read-from-minibuffer 7" errors, and I'm a bit lost without edebug.

Oh, it is a bug in xwem, due to number of arguments changed in new
XEmacs for `read-from-minibuffer' function.  Simple patch is in
xwem-interactive.el change:

  (defun xwem-read-from-minibuffer (prompt &optional initial-contents keymap
readp history abbrev-table)

  (defun xwem-read-from-minibuffer (prompt &optional initial-contents keymap
readp history abbrev-table &rest notused)

Note that xwem redifines `read-from-minibuffer' to its own(for
workaround blocking in minibuffer when executing keyboard macro), when
XEmacs is about to enter minibuffer in xwem context.

And yes, seting `debug-on-error' to t and having XEmacs frame visible,
and having

  (add-menu-button '("File") ["KBD QUIT" xwem-kbd-quit t])

in .emacs, is the way i debug in xwem.