xwem-devel

[XWEM]: Re: xlib/xwem startup messages

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: [XWEM]: Re: xlib/xwem startup messages
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 15:14:48 +0900

    Jens> Was there ever a final resolution to the xlib/xwem messages
    Jens> at startup issue?

Jerry James submitted a patch that (once you rebuild the
auto-autoloads files, which requires an explicit make distclean in the
package directory) works around the problem.

However, as far as I can tell around 1000 autoload cookies should be
removed from the xlib package, but I haven't gotten around to doing
anything about submitting a patch (since I don't use xwem, which I
sorta would have to test ;-).  I wouldn't be surprised if xwem needs
the same treatment.  xlib at least needs refactoring, including a
high-level library xlib-tray.el that should be moved to xwem.  In any
event, I think the main author is about to return from vacation, so
probably there should be more action in the next few days.

BTW, this isn't really upstream's fault, there was a serious XEmacs
reviewing and/or documentation failure here.  But I'm not sure how to
fix either, given our "leave it up to the maintainer" approach to
package development.

    Jens>    (autoload 'Xmask-or "xlib-math" "\

Nice catch!  But as I say, there are on the order of 1000 more of
these just waiting to cause the same kind of problem.