xwem-devel

Re: [XWEM]: Re: xwem and gnus

From: Zajcev Evgeny
Subject: Re: [XWEM]: Re: xwem and gnus
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 03:20:27 +0300

Steve Youngs <address@hidden> writes:

> * Sergey Bolshakov <address@hidden> writes:
>
>   > one security-braindamaged distro :) has X running with -nolisten
>   > tcp by default,
>
> Oh god!  You are kidding?  Ok, here are my guesses in order of most
> likely to least likely...

[skip about distros]

>   > so having option to connect via unix socket would be fine.
>
> Would that even be possible?  I thought X only listened on TCP
> sockets?  But then again, how do other WM's opperate under `-nolisten
> tcp'?

There are transport layers in X, most commonly used are:

  * Shared memory - very fast.  No need of memory copies between
    client/server.

  * Unix sockets - Also fast.  connection oriented.  If kernel
    supports zero-copy, most probably performance can be compared with
    shared memory.

  * tcp sockets - universal layer.  connection oriented.  Not
    local-use limited.  The only layer that can be used in XEmacs for
    this time.  Performance is bad, since calling to networking stacks
    and data copy.

  * Special dependant layers.

At this time XEmacs does not have interfaces to either shared memory
or unix sockets.  But most probably someday (maybe we will do it for
xwem project) XEmacs will support both and we can implement them in
xlib.

--
lg