zonecheck-tests

Re: [zonecheck-tests] incorrect failure for "hostmaster MX is not an ali

From: Marco Schumann
Subject: Re: [zonecheck-tests] incorrect failure for "hostmaster MX is not an alias"
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 13:18:34 +0100

Hi,

Stephane Bortzmeyer schrieb:
> On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 10:45:44AM +0100,
>  Marco Schumann <address@hidden> wrote
>  a message of 54 lines which said:
>
>> Maybe it is a software configuration to respond with a SERVFAIL on
>> "unknown" RR types?
>
> [CNAME, "unknown"? Come on.]

Neither zonecheck nor you know, whether this is with intent? I don't
know either.

>                 2               Server failure - The name server was
>                                 unable to process this query due to a
>                                 problem with the name server.

This is a problem of a DNS admin (if at all), not one of any registry.
Earlier in this thread you stated "you are their customers and you have
nothing to say?", so in case of a problem the customers will complain, no?

> Yes, thre is "a problem for the name server" if it replies SERVFAIL.

It only happens on silly questions. Maybe there is a problem at Verizon,
maybe not. Their customers will have it changed or not.

>> Why does zonecheck have to judge a software works correctly or not?
>
> Well, it is its entire point.

No, it overshoots the mark... IMHO this is a bug.

Kind regards
--
Marco