apso-devel

Re: [Apso-devel] Logging system and defensive code (for Apso 0.3.0)

From: Caio Marcelo
Subject: Re: [Apso-devel] Logging system and defensive code (for Apso 0.3.0)
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2007 15:01:35 -0300

On 4/7/07, Jeronimo Pellegrini <address@hidden> wrote:
It's small... But why not keep it separate?

Main reason is: today, both nettle and monotone are available in most
Linux distributions (and also FreeBSD, at least Monotone). For
instance, creating
apso packages for Debian will mean that we'll need to maintain also a slogcxx
package :-(

One idea would be to not require a specific logging mechanism (or crypto
library, etc), so both these would work:

See that's not against the idea of abstracting logging functionality. We have
a LoggingEngine class, and a LoggingEngineSlogcxx that calls the bundled
slogcxx.

Related question: did you drop the idea of using sanity.cc/hh ?

- Scripting. Maybe Lua or Python would be interesting? Or some other
  language/tool? It would be nice if we could add more tests easily,
  like:
  + Write a description of the test (*)
  + Add the test name to a list of testa
  + Call "run tests" and all tests are performed.

I'll think about and try to come up with something. But what make me very
unconfortable right now is that every apso command seems to NEED about
7 arguments, this isn't helpful at all. We need to come up with some 'trick'
to make it smarter somehow.

Monotone behaves smarter when you are in a working directory, for example.
That --scratch directory is intended to be "killed" after every
execution? If not,
maybe making apso smarter like mtn, and suggest user to run apso from the
scratch dir, and it will remember everything it can (will be stored in
this directory).

What do you think?

PS: Sorry for wearing the Usability-hat again... :)

Cheers,
 Caio Marcelo