aspell-announce

[aspell-announce] The New Aspell is Now Usable as a Library

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: [aspell-announce] The New Aspell is Now Usable as a Library
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 02:18:59 -0500 (EST)

I would normally post this type of message to the New Aspell
announcement list.  However, only 10 people are subscribed!  If you are
in any way interested in the New Aspell development please subscribe
to address@hidden by going to
no one subscribes after this I will just assume no one is interested
which I hope is not the case.  Now for real announcement ...

The New Aspell is now at a state when it can be used as an
independent.  If you are interested in the development of Aspell
please check out a copy with CVS and let me know what you think. To
check out a copy:

  cvs -d:pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/aspell login
  (hit enter at the password prompt)
  cvs -z3 -d:pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/aspell co aspell

In order to use aspell you will need to download a dictionary package.
These can be in the download area of the New Aspell project
(http://freesoftware.fsf.org/download/aspell/).  The ones found
at the original Aspell home page will NOT work.

Once you have downloaded the necessary components simply follow the
instructions in the file README-CVS.

It should be source code compatible with the Pspell library however
this has not been tested very well so please try out out in your
applications and let me know if you have any problems.  Unless you
have something personal you wish to discuss with me please post to the
aspell-devel public mailing list
address@hidden  You do not have to be
subscribed to the list in order to post.

Now that The New Aspell is usable a library I really hope people will
start contributing to the development of the new Aspell.  You should
find the new code a lot simpler and easier to follow than the
complicated Pspell/Aspell combination.

--
Kevin Atkinson
The New Aspell Maintainer