aspell-announce

[aspell-announce] Future of Aspell

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: [aspell-announce] Future of Aspell
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 23:34:43 -0500

Well I knew is was going to happen eventually.  I officially lost
interest in Aspell.  This means that there is likely to be little
development on Aspell by me.  However, I am hoping some other people
with a vested interested in Aspell will take over the development of
the New Aspell.  The current code base for the New Aspell is what I
hope to be very clean code and easy to maintain.  Current work to be
done of the New Aspell include.

* Integrate Kevin B. Hendricks's affix compression support found in
  MySpell into the New Aspell.

* Add filter support.   This is not nearly as easy a task as it my
  appear to be a first glance.

* Create a functional Aspell utility to replace the original Aspell
  utility which should have the ability to emulate Ispell's pipe mode
  and the ability to functional as an independent spell checker.

* Documentation

I have tried very hard to make the New Aspell easy to maintain and
extend.  I really hope people will start using the New Aspell code
base rather than using either AbiWords Ispell hack or Kevin
B. Hendricks's very simple MySpell.  Hopefully, by opening the New
Aspell development to others application developers can transform the
new Aspell into something worth using.

Thank You.
Kevin Atkinson
Aspell Maintainer