Re: Making AUCTeX ELPA releases from the master branch

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: Making AUCTeX ELPA releases from the master branch
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 21:18:05 +0200

>> I think we need to adapt our instructions.  To run straight from the
>> clone, this seems to work fine:
>>
>>     (add-to-list 'load-path "~/Repos/el/auctex")
>>     (load "~/Repos/el/auctex/loaddefs.el" nil t t)
>
> Side note: an AUCTeX installed with `package.el` behaves very similarly
> except the autoloads file is called `auctex-autoloads.el` instead of
> `loaddefs.el` and that this file takes care of the `add-to-list`, so
> users just need to
>
>     (load "~/Repos/el/auctex/auctex-autoloads")

Thanks, but in which scenario do users have to use the form above?  I
thought when AUCTeX is installed via package.el, say with regular
updates or `package-install-from-archive', `package-initialize' and some
such would do the job.  Or am I missing something?

Side question: Is it possible to achieve something similar for the setup
above, i.e., running AUCTeX directly from the clone?  This looks really
ugly to me:

  (load "~/Repos/el/auctex/loaddefs.el" nil t t)

Best, Arash