autonomous-discuss

Re: [autonomo.us] GNU MediaGoblin officially announced

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: Re: [autonomo.us] GNU MediaGoblin officially announced
Date: Wed, 04 May 2011 10:10:57 -0500

What Matt said, but also: some other people have also made similar
complaints, and I'm honestly not too worried about it.  Sure, it's
monstery, seems "evil", but really it's just the software.  People can
run other instances and completely rebrand it and that's okay also.

But I've heard a lot more praise for the name than I've heard
complaints.  I don't think goblins have to be evil.  It's kind of fun
and creative.  I'm not downplaying the role of branding here, I think
branding is important.  But our goblin is mostly a cute guy, we're
aiming for a highly creative audience, and if you don't like it, you can
run one of the mediagoblin instances that has unicorns and rainbows and
that'd in fact be *great*.

Also, Deviantart's name has "deviant" in it and their mascot has horns,
and they seem to be doing just fine.