autonomous-discuss

Re: [autonomo.us] Desqus

From: Joar Wandborg
Subject: Re: [autonomo.us] Desqus
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 01:01:21 +0200

On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 04:32:06PM -0500, Christopher Allan Webber wrote:
> For those of you looking for a disqus alternative that's free software,
> Joar Wandborg (a prolific mediagoblin contributor) is in the early
> stages of such a thing:
>
> https://github.com/desqus/desqus
>
> Probably worth following, especially if you're in the large camp of
> people who use statically generated blog/site tools ;)
>
>  - cwebber

Hi there, I have just finished a wonky proof of concept based on
Cross-Origin Resource Sharing[1], You can view it and try it at
<http://http://80.joar.pagekite.me/desqus-test/>. Note that both the desqus
instance and the test page resides on my desktop machine, so they may be
offline/online at any time.

In it's current state, desqus is usable in the following ways:

 - You will be able to see the comments on a page, provided your browser
   supports CORS[1].
 - You will be able to register/login and post a comment on a page.

There might be security issues, as I just got it to work over CORS[1] and
haven't had time to polish it.

What you can do:

 - Join us in #desqus on Freenode
 - Follow the repository on GitHub
 - Contribute to the code, design or documentation on GitHub or contact me
   on IRC/<firstname at desqus.org>/xmpp:address@hidden and I'll pull in your
code
 - Join the desqus StatusNet group at
   <http://status.wandborg.se/group/desqus>

The application is built in Python on the Flask microframework with
Flask-WTF, Flask-SQLAlchemy and flask-bootstrap.

Hope you enjoy!

 [1]: http://www.w3.org/TR/cors/