autonomous-discuss

Re: [autonomo.us] Desqus

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [autonomo.us] Desqus
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 10:59:01 +0000

Joar Wandborg <address@hidden>
> On 2012-11-13 12:28, MJ Ray wrote:
> > That is a poor error message.  Even if readers know what JavaScript
> > is, they probably won't know what CORS is and dictionaries aren't
> > great:
>
> Since this is managed by the site owner it's quite flexible - The site
> owner may customize it to fit his/her audience.

Sure, but most won't (like tons of sites use the offensive default
text from Google's reCaptcha that suggests that disabled users are
inhuman), so it's better if talka.tv suggests something good by
default.  Anyway, I think that particular message has changed, so:

[...]
> > JavaScript enabled! Head over to the static comment page to read and
> > post comments. " on http://talka.tv/ but that links to
> > http://talka.tv/comment/list/21 which has no way to post comments.
>
> Yep, the "post comments" part is a lie so far. I have been putting off
> building that feature until we have an anti-spam filter.

Spam filtering is a good idea (I humbly suggest http://blogspam.net
and maybe http://textcaptcha.com among it) and I feel noscript access
is vital for accessibility, security and power-saving, so I wait for
news before suggesting talka.tv to people.

> > I've also mentioned this in irc.freenode.net #talka.tv - a bug
> > tracker
> > would be a good idea.
>
> The bug tracker is located at
> https://github.com/talkatv/talkatv/issues/

Thanks. That wasn't linked from the pages I saw.  Is there a way to
report bugs without registering all that info with github?

After all, we share some belief in freedom, which doesn't really fit
with expecting people to register their legal full name and so on,
or with projects surrendering their autonomy to github (whose terms
of use contain something I don't agree with - I don't use my legal
full name in this context).

Regards,