autonomous-discuss

[autonomo.us] Oh the irony

From: Danyl Strype
Subject: [autonomo.us] Oh the irony
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 00:46:36 +1200

Kia ora koutou

Anil Dash blogs on how elitist and white-bread we are for building federated networking tools. Ironically, I can't comment on his blog because his comment system only supports FaceBook, Yahoo, AOL, and HotMail:
http://dashes.com/anil/2012/08/you-cant-start-the-revolution-from-the-country-club.html

He also contradicts himself a number of times in this well-meaning but confused posting. For example, he points to App.net as a triumph of "open source" and He also applauds how inclusive FarceBook is, then claims that the user culture of a web startup is set in stone by the beta testers. FarceBook was originally limited to college students, the ultimate country club audience!

Despite this, Dash does made some valid and useful points.
>> Medium made a few interesting choices early on by featuring content about parenting or childhood memories - fairly universal topics - instead of obscure Mac design nerdery as a starting point. Content aside, any of these networks or services could make a concerted effort to seek out international voices, users of different social strata, and people from outside the narrow conventional political spectrum of their current user bases today. <<

It's good for us to dogfood the software we are developing/ supporting by talking tech, or tech politics, but there's something to be said for actively bring a wider range of people in as beta testers. As long as we make it explicit they are testing beta software, and actively support them when they run into trouble ;)

Na,
Strypey

--
Danyl Strype
Community Developer

"Geeks are those who partake in our culture."
- .ISOcrates

"Uncomfortable alliances are not just necessary; they reflect and speak to the tremendous possibility of our political moment."
- Harmony Goldberg and Joshua Kahn Russell
http://www.nationofchange.org/new-radical-alliances-new-era-1337004193

"Both Marxists and Chicago-school libertarian economists can agree that free software is the best model."
- Keith C Curtis
http://keithcu.com/wordpress/?page_id=407