autonomous-discuss

Re: [autonomo.us] Introducting Strypey

From: Danyl Strype
Subject: Re: [autonomo.us] Introducting Strypey
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 03:17:35 +1200

Kia ora koutou

On 30 April 2013 19:49, Michel Bauwens <address@hidden> wrote:
I seem to remember that Sam Rose had developed some wiki forms that could be integrated to the entries; it was based on OSI layers but I'm sure some status markers and evaluations could be added ...

I assume you are talking about wiki federation? I think this is really needed. Having multiple wiki sites, each with their own style and focus, is more flexible and resilient than one-wiki-to-rule-them-all, but it also results in unintentional silos and duplication of effort. Being able to host a particular *page* on multiple wiki sites, and keep them in sync, would be great. Some of the challenges are (in no particular order):
* how do you deal with the fact that every wiki site has its own preferred way of formatting page?
* what happens when two (or more) people try to edit the same page on different wiki sites? Possible solutions, starting an edit locks the page across all subscribers for a set period of time, or some kind of Wave-style multi-user editing.
* security - spammers will love the fact that changing a page on one site (or hijacking the sync process) can change multiple sites. How do you prevent this?
* how do you establish federation relationships for a page in the first place, and who should have the permissions to do it?
* what syncing and security protocols would be used? How would they work? How is this decided?

I have full sympathy for any individual and group who wants to do this on their own;

I don't think any of us *want* do be doing it on our own. We just start out that way, until we discover each other and start to collaborate. To that end, I've invited Jacob from CitizenWeb to join this list. I hope this is ok. If so, I will start inviting some people from other projects; Friendika/ Red, my friends at Loomio etc

but our wiki is always available as meta-resource for everyone ... it's not always necessary to re-invent the wheel and our wiki is pluralistic by design;

I'm happy to move my list to the page Michael suggested, and open it up to wider collaboration. Unless anyone has any better suggestions?

The question remains though, how do we rate projects; technical criteria? level of adoption ("Prodromou's Law")? other criteria? Also, how would the evaluations we carry out as a research group translate into recommendations to developers and users?

Danyl: it functions by self-registration; with a human moderator to avoid spam registrations; so sometimes there is a delay of approval, but usually not more than a day

Great. I'll try again now.

Ma te wā
Strypey

--
Danyl Strype
Community Developer

"Geeks are those who partake in our culture."
- .ISOcrates

"Uncomfortable alliances are not just necessary; they reflect and speak to the tremendous possibility of our political moment."
- Harmony Goldberg and Joshua Kahn Russell
http://www.nationofchange.org/new-radical-alliances-new-era-1337004193

"Both Marxists and Chicago-school libertarian economists can agree that free software is the best model."
- Keith C Curtis
http://keithcu.com/wordpress/?page_id=407