autonomous-discuss

Re: [autonomo.us] FSF is hiring: outreach and communication coordinator

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [autonomo.us] FSF is hiring: outreach and communication coordinator
Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 16:13:55 +0100

Danyl Strype <address@hidden>
> How much autonomy would one really lose working for the FSF? I understand
> what you're saying about trade unions' role in the state-corporate sytem,
> and in theory I agree. I do take issue with the idea that working as a
> contractor or a small company/ co-operative is inherently more autonomous
> than being an employee. If you are contacting to the same corporation/ NGO,
> I reckon you'd be better off as a unionized employee, with guaranteed
> hours, sick days, holidays etc.

Ultimately, I don't know - I've never worked for the FSF.

I disagree about the "better off as a unionized employee" but I may be
relying on rules local to England (IR56 and IR35), where there are
necessary differences in how members of autonomous co-operatives and
employees or contractors work.  Basically, hirers buy services from
co-ops, not hours and people.  Of course, hirers need to factor in
that they're effectively hiring something more resilient than an
individual.

Lots of great discussion on video and voice conferencing later in the
thread - thank you everyone for that.  A short comment on that in a moment.

Regards,