autonomous-discuss

Re: [autonomo.us] FSF is hiring: outreach and communication coordinator

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [autonomo.us] FSF is hiring: outreach and communication coordinator
Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 16:24:40 +0100

Danyl Strype <address@hidden>
> All Google services work under a unified login (inc. YouTube etc). If you
> got one prior to G+ launch, especially through Gmail, which integrates
> Hangouts as part of the built-in GChat client, the 'real name' policy isn't
> enforced. That doesn't solve the proprietary plug-in problem though. I note
> your skepticism, but I'm confident

The policy isn't *currently* enforced.  It's still there.  By the way,
Github has a similar but worse policy that says something like "full
legal name" yet tons of F/OSS projects use it :-(

> A side note: what really blows my mind is that no free code application
> (desktop or web) that I've seen has combining email, chat (text, voice, and
> video), and address book in one nicely-integrated client. It was an obvious
> idea to me even before GMail did it, and I just don't understand why it
> hasn't been copied.

I'm told IceOwl (and presumably the less free Mozilla Thunderbird) has
email, text chats (IRC for sure) and address book in one client.  I
see a few plugins for voice-calling but they look like they hand over
to desk phones (connected to things like Asterisk) for the actual
call.

I've also been reading a few things about a new GNOME email reader
http://www.yorba.org/projects/geary/ recently - I don't know if that
would be easy to extend, but "Eventually we’d like Geary to have an
extensible plugin architecture" makes me think not yet.

Hope that helps,