autonomous-discuss

Re: [autonomo.us] pumped

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [autonomo.us] pumped
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 12:17:14 +0100

On 12/07/13 02:13, Mike Linksvayer wrote:
> As of yesterday (2013-07-10) identi.ca is running
> [pump.io](http://pump.io). Congratulations to
> [Evan](http://autonomo.us/2013/06/07/3-notes-from-evan-on-mitigating-mass-spying/).

Congratulations? Why? identi.ca is now cut off from other free software
services and seems to put its users at risk of mass spying.

I was an identi.ca user.  I've lost access from my clients (which I also
use for friendica) and the identi.ca web page has a "Get Started" button
which replies with a 403 error saying that registrations aren't allowed.
 There's no login link.

I just tried accessing the old https://identi.ca/main/login page (saved
in my desktop browser history) and it says I need to do a password
recovery, but the "Recover" button on that page does nothing.  So I've
not installed a pump.io client (and
http://iDontWantYourFuckingApp.tumblr.com applies in general - they suck
memory and battery) as I've no way to get my password.

I've seen reports (which I've not yet confirmed for myself) from my
friendica network that pump doesn't work without allowing Google API
JavaScripts from googleapis.com permission to run: that seems like an
easy way into the mass spying net, don't you think?

Then it looks like the bug tracker is on github with its obnoxious terms
of service, so I can't even report this issue myself.

And to cap it all, my RSS feeds and even network page (was
http://identi.ca/mjray/all) seem to have vanished, so I can't even keep
following my network read-only and any identi.ca widgets on phones or
websites are erroring.  That's really bad web practice, discouraged in
http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI

Given what a great example identi.ca was for autonomous services, I feel
this is all really disappointing.  I know I was mainly a free-rider and
deserve nothing... so I guess I got what I deserved, but with this track
record, why should we suggest anyone trusts this social network not to
break utterly again in a while?

See you on friendica for now...
--
MJ Ray (slef), member of www.software.coop, a for-more-than-profit co-op