autonomous-discuss

Re: [autonomo.us] pumped

From: Rob Myers
Subject: Re: [autonomo.us] pumped
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 13:13:05 +0100

On 12/07/13 10:03, Kuno Woudt wrote:

Hello,

On 07/12/2013 03:13 AM, Mike Linksvayer wrote:
Second, and much more widely noted, is the preference of
(supposedly young, but I'm doubtful) web developers for permissive
licenses. If true, this would make a permissive license all the more
necessary to establish a standard, and hopefully contribute to
non-obscurity among developers.

One possible reason (I've come to realize) for this is that a typical
web application often depends on hundreds of third party libraries /
modules [1], and no one wants to spend time figuring out if all of them
have compatible licenses.

GNU/Linux distros work out the licensing for desktop and server software.

The guild-like approach of web developers to software potlatch rather than software freedom probably looks more harmful than it actually is.

- Rob.