autonomous-discuss

Re: [autonomo.us] pumped

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [autonomo.us] pumped
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2013 19:47:24 +0100

On 12/07/13 16:04, rsiddharth wrote:
>> Is identi.ca a migration or really a restart?  There's quite a lot of
>> other breakages: all links to dents and conversations are broken with no
>> redirects and it looks like links to other social network servers are
>> all down.
>
> Evan once said the ol' (status) identi.ca will be available at the
> Internet Archive, after the pump.io switch over.

I thought now is after the switch over... or is it an undefined future
date?  Will they be back at the identi.ca URLs?  If not, it's only
helpful for those who know about the great Internet Archive.

> Yes there are broken links. AFAIK, identi.ca is after all Evan's
> sandbox, is it not?

Yeah, I guess this is a violent reminder of that: trust no free hosting,
even if it's run by great free software types.  It sucks that free
software supporters have to do everything ourselves to avoid these
slaps.  Even then, we sometimes have problems as a result of selecting
the wrong free software project to build on.

And yes, it's good that Evan kept going so long, but I don't think it's
a good idea to trust the site again and congratulating Evan was way OTT.

Thanks for the reminder about GNU Social - brilliant.  Is there any way
to migrate my identi.ca subscriptions and maybe content to it?

You see, that's what kept me on identi.ca so long: I signed up as a
test, started making links to it, then couldn't leave!  Again, I guess
it comes down to this: when you walk into somewhere, check the exits.  I
wish we didn't have to treat free software like that but we do.

Lesson learnt!
--
MJ Ray (slef), member of www.software.coop, a for-more-than-profit co-op