autonomous-discuss

Re: [autonomo.us] 'Alternatives Working Group' on Loomio

From: Luis Villa
Subject: Re: [autonomo.us] 'Alternatives Working Group' on Loomio
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 01:16:23 -0700

On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 12:58 AM, Eric Wong <address@hidden> wrote:
> You seem to be saying that GUI web browers can't or don't implement
> free formats, protocols, and standards.

No, not at all.  Browsers implement standards for _reading_ well.
However, communicating with other readers or website authors is a mess
on browsers.  Forum/blog sites mostly have different commenting
mechanisms and account systems.  The standardized ones tend to be
non-Free/centralized; the decentralized ones have little adoption.

When I participate on this (and most) mailing lists I'm on:

<snip>

If this discussion were on a website:

<snip>

There is very little standardization and it ends up being a tedious and
laborious process, with lots of memory/CPU consumed, likely some
security bugs, some (XSS) even in the website itself and beyond the
control of browsers.

Your lists of problems are not wrong, and yet vastly more discussion takes place on websites rather than mailing lists these days. That suggests that your analysis is incomplete.

Luis