autonomous-discuss

[autonomo.us] [ANN] public-inbox - an "archives first" approach to maili

From: Eric Wong
Date: Mon, 5 May 2014 08:22:01 +0000

Mechanism: http://ssoma.public-inbox.org/  git://80x24.org/ssoma
   Policy: http://public-inbox.org/  git://80x24.org/public-inbox
   Format: http://ssoma.public-inbox.org/ssoma_repository.txt

All AGPLv3+ and built around my own laziness and hesitation to host a
real mailing list upon the soon-to-be-dead RubyForge.org lists I've
relied on for years.

I could've migrated to another Free host (maybe Savannah), but dealing
with the ML/archive migration would be a pain anyways, so making it
pull-based and easy-to-migrate/fork was worth trying.

Since everybody can get the complete archives easily, it should be
easier to build different UIs on top or fork the archives as easily as
forking a software project.  I have had a nice SpamAssassin+IMAP+inotify
setup for many years and good experience with git and Perl, so I built
on top of things I'm already familiar with.

Unfortunately, lists for my Rubyforge projects are largely echo chambers
with few subscribers, I don't have much to lose by trying something
different :)

I'm not trying to take over the world.  This is mainly for users and
hackers of the little projects I run; all of which are already on
email-only workflows and written for other hackers, sysadmins or
terminal junkies.

The best case is this turns into a lossless, compressed NNTP
replacement.  I might do an NNTP server (at least read-only) interface,
even.

The worst case is I end up sending email to subscribers anyways via SMTP
(and VERP looks OK for dealing with bounces), but anybody may also run
that delivery service.

I'll try to update/improve the documentation throughout the week.
Unlike many new projects nowadays, I only depend on software in
Debian stable, so it should be fairly easy-to-install on a lot of
Debian and Debian-based systems.

I also have autonomous-discuss archives mirrored to:
        http://try.public-inbox.org/autonomous/

        # If you end up installing ssoma:
        URL=git://try.public-inbox.org/autonomous
        ssoma add autonomous $URL mbox:/tmp/auto.mbox
        ssoma sync
        mutt -f /tmp/auto.mbox # or whatever MUA you use
        # Maildir and IMAP are also supported, I'm not sure what to
        # do about some webmail users, though... :<

There's also an Atom feed, I think that's somewhat popular
at least: http://try.public-inbox.org/autonomous/atom.xml

Thanks for reading this far!

--
Eric Wong