ayttm-users

Re: [Ayttm-users] hello there, updating msn nicks

From: Philip S Tellis
Subject: Re: [Ayttm-users] hello there, updating msn nicks
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 23:41:26 +0530 (IST)

Sometime Today, Rahul Saxena assembled some asciibets to say:

> the logs directory maintains a log for every nick rather than the
> mail-id so there are a whole bunch of logs for a single person.

well, that's the way it's supposed to be.  you can have multiple buddy
accounts under one contact, and conversations can be carried on across
accounts, so a single log file per contact - regardless of number of
accounts - is what is needed.  As far as having many logs for a single
person, I don't understand how that could happen.  When you rename a
contact, the log gets renamed too.  When you merge two contacts, the
logs get merged too.

> and second thing, the msn nicknames dont get updated when somone
> changes then. I have to delete them and then they appear later as
> their updated nicks.

Yes, that is intended behaviour.  There is no way to know whether the
nickname in your contact list was got from the server or whether you set
it yourself.  If you set it, you would not want it changed
automatically, but if it were set from the server, then maybe you would.

Suggestions on how we could figure out the difference are welcome.

Another problem is if you have a buddy who has yahoo and msn.  You might
want to have them as the same contact - for fallback messaging to work.
Now, if the nicknames conflict, what do we do?

Philip