billiards-users

Re: [Billiards-users] Trouble running billiards - ODE error (assertion

From: Dimitris Papavasiliou
Subject: Re: [Billiards-users] Trouble running billiards - ODE error (assertion failure)
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 02:58:23 +0200

Hi Pasi,

I'm a bit confused as to why you're trying to build ODE yourself since you're running Ubuntu.  You can use the relevant packages and this would be the easiest way to go but in that case you might have to use the packages from Debian unstable (they install fine AFAIK).  The ODE packages in Ubuntu were compiled with single precision which would cause Billiards to act a bit weird. It might be all right with packages from 9.10 but bear that in mind.  You might also be able to tweak the tolerances in Billiards to make it work If for some reason you have to go with the packages from Ubuntu but I'm not sure.

Now if for some reason you have to compile ODE yourself then you have to configure it this way:

./configure --enable-shared --enable-release --disable-asserts --with-trimesh=opcode --enable-double-precision

At least these were the required switches last time I tried to compile ODE myself (which was version 0.11 I believe).  The errors you're having trouble with should go away with --disable-asserts but you'll probably need the rest as well.  Don't forget to reinstall it once you rebuild ODE and to relink Billiards with the new libs.  I always do.

There's probably zero chance you'll be able to run the full shaders but if you want to take a shot you can try it with:

billiards -Onotoon

It would be interesting to try it with a couple of changes I've made to the shaders but I haven't even committed them to CVS yet.  Better wait for the next release of Techne.  They probably won't make a difference anyway.

Regarding jumping the cue ball.  Maybe my wording is not the best but I'm not reffering to scooping but rather to the method you describe with the difference that I think that you should aim the ball below the equator.  The idea is to drive the ball into the felt as you describe so that it will rebound and jump but if you hit it above the equator the cue stick will be "in the way" thus limiting the ball's rebound.  Of course with high cue elevations it's probably a little difficult to apply bottom english.  That's my understanding at least but then again I do suck at pool so I might be wrong.

On another matter, since you've built techne already you might want to check out Aviation which is fresh out.  It's a flight  sim built on Techne and it should run on your hardware with the -Osimple switch.  It's nowhere near as complete as billiards but it runs and you can fly the plane and crash it.  Implementing a game of some sort like an air race or a dogfight should be simple but I keep getting distracted by the development of Techne.  Let me know if you like it.

And don't forget to visit http://localhost:29176 with a decent browser for the Billiards' webgui.

Dimitris