Re: [circle] Win32 Compatibility

From: Nathan Hurst
Subject: Re: [circle] Win32 Compatibility
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 10:07:41 +1100

Asheesh Laroia wrote:

I would think that if TCP moves the file transfer socket control mostly to
the operating system that it would offload Circle's responsibility to
time, resend, etc. its UDP file-transfer packets.  That's why I'd suggest
we move to TCP first and see if off-loading responsibility would help.

The reason circle uses udp is so that it can do scatter-gather downloading to distribute the download evenly. Perhaps it could just open a few connections to randomly chosen sources and ask each for a random range at a time. How does bittorrent work?

njh