Re: [circle] circle new release: v0.40

From: Paul Campbell
Subject: Re: [circle] circle new release: v0.40
Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 16:13:44 -0700

On Sat, May 08, 2004 at 11:53:22PM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> I just uploaded version 0.40 to the website:
> http://thecircle.org.au
>
> News:
> The GUI layout was completely redesigned.
> Plus many bugfixes, stability improvements.

Rats! I was just figuring out what is necessary to fix W32 compatibility.

So far, I have:

1. The setup.py script tries to install icons where they don't/won't go,
among others ('/usr/share/pixmaps', '/usr/share/gnome/apps/internet',
and /usr/lib/apt/methods).

2. A standard python installation does not include support for named pipes
which is the mechanism circle uses for splitting itself into multiple
processes.

I thought about using Twisted's IPC support but until/unless Thomas wants to
switch everything to twisted, it seems like a total waste. So that leaves two
other options: use the internet socket support via the loopback port (and be
darned sure that the remote end is actually LOCAL...otherwise, security is
left to the end user to properly firewall it) or else use the Windows native
named pipe service which requires installing additional extensions.

Since you can never ever trust W32 sockets stuff, I chose the last option.
Fortunately, ActiveState has already prepackaged the W32 stuff in their
version of Python.