Re: [circle] circle new release: v0.40

From: thomasV1
Subject: Re: [circle] circle new release: v0.40
Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 10:04:53 +0200 (MEST)

> Rats! I was just figuring out what is necessary to fix W32 compatibility.

That is great.
Since I am unable to test circle under windows, I
sometimes take steps that are not windows compatible.

> So far, I have:
>
> 1. The setup.py script tries to install icons where they don't/won't go,
> among others ('/usr/share/pixmaps', '/usr/share/gnome/apps/internet',
> and /usr/lib/apt/methods).

yeah, but that script is not for windows users.
I should make it clear somewhere, and maybe add
a detection test at the beginning of it.

> 2. A standard python installation does not include support for named pipes
> which is the mechanism circle uses for splitting itself into multiple
> processes.

I guess you mean the fork? would a
version that does not use fork fix this?
this pipe is only used to send commands
to the daemon from the CLI, so I guess it
is not necessary under windows.

> I thought about using Twisted's IPC support but until/unless Thomas wants
> switch everything to twisted, it seems like a total waste. So that leaves
> two
> other options: use the internet socket support via the loopback port (and
> be
> darned sure that the remote end is actually LOCAL...otherwise, security is
> left to the end user to properly firewall it) or else use the Windows
> native
> named pipe service which requires installing additional extensions.
>
> Since you can never ever trust W32 sockets stuff, I chose the last option.
> Fortunately, ActiveState has already prepackaged the W32 stuff in their
> version of Python.

I will not switch everything to twisted myself, because
I do not know it and I am too lazy to learn it, among
other reasons.
But maybe you should talk to rodrigo about that. He
wanted/started to write a twisted version of circle
at some point... See his post:
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/circle-discuss/2004-01/msg00005.html

Thomas