Re: [circle] circle new release: v0.40

From: Thomas Mangin
Subject: Re: [circle] circle new release: v0.40
Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 14:21:04 +0100

address@hidden wrote:

Rats! I was just figuring out what is necessary to fix W32 compatibility.

That is great. Since I am unable to test circle under windows, I sometimes take steps that are not windows compatible.

Diff like change to work under windows as AF_UNIX is ... well ... unix only !!

def do_command(command,print_error=1,print_result=1):
   try:
       com_sock_file = os.path.join(utility.config_dir, 'daemon_socket')
-       com_sock = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET,socket.SOCK_STREAM)
+      com_sock = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET,socket.SOCK_STREAM)
-       com_sock.connect(com_sock_file)

As well, I do not know why the proxy mode have been removed under windows !!
But as my machine is behind a Linux firewall, I will not be able to help much more.

I thought about using Twisted's IPC support but until/unless Thomas wants
to switch everything to twisted, it seems like a total waste. So that leaves
two other options: use the internet socket support via the loopback port (and
be darned sure that the remote end is actually LOCAL...otherwise, security is
left to the end user to properly firewall it) or else use the Windows
native named pipe service which requires installing additional extensions.
If the Thomas refered here is me, I will have to kindly decline the offer. I do not have the time needed to help you with it.

Since you can never ever trust W32 sockets stuff, I chose the last option.
Fortunately, ActiveState has already prepackaged the W32 stuff in their
version of Python.
I do not understand what you mean.

I will not switch everything to twisted myself, because I do not know it and I am too lazy to learn it, among other reasons.
;-)

Thomas