Re: [circle] Voting on p2p

From: Jiri Baum
Subject: Re: [circle] Voting on p2p
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 19:34:52 +1000

Thomas V:
> >as long as there is no financial reward associated
> >with the ranking, I guess nobody would care trying
> >to cheat, indeed

Nathan:
> No.  People like to cheat just for fun.  Look at things like outlook
> viruses and the kids who break into websites.

I'm a bit more optimistic than that - wikis seem to work, at least... In any
case, it should be relatively resistant against dumb attacks.

I suspect vandals will want to break the whole network, rather than
interfering with the voting system. The people wanting to interfere with the
voting system will probably be the artists (for ego or for money), and
possibly the recording industry (in desparation). Many of their functions
have been superceded by the Internet, and selecting artists is one of the
remaining big ones (as well as a power trip for those involved, no doubt).

Jiri
--
Jiri Baum <address@hidden>           http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jirib
  MAT LinuxPLC project --- http://mat.sf.net --- Machine Automation Tools