Re: [circle] file transfer questions

From: Jiri Baum
Subject: Re: [circle] file transfer questions
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 13:19:17 +1000

Jonathan:
> The whole circle + NAT thing has always confused me. For a long time (two
> years) I ran circle behind NAT without the aid of a proxy or port
> forwarding. I could never explain why or how it worked.

It probably depends on your NAT. NAT always involves guessing which packet
belongs to which machine; usually it's a fairly educated guess, but with the
circle it ends up being a stab in the dark. Circle has its own, fairly
unusual pattern of traffic. Perhaps your NAT's guesses happened to match
circle's needs?

(It'll also depend a lot on the way your firewall works; again, firewalling
involves guessing which packet belongs and which doesn't. Again, circle's
unusual pattern will confuse the firewall, and a good firewall should drop
packets it finds confusing.)

Jiri
--
Jiri Baum <address@hidden>           http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jirib