Re: [circle] GPL Violatin - no I wont

From: Faried Nawaz
Subject: Re: [circle] GPL Violatin - no I wont
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 13:24:42 +0500

> On the GPL part, as I understand it you can sell copies for whatever you
> want, but you can't close the source or disallow other people from
> redistributing it.  If you want to carry out your plan, you'd have
> to write your own code instead of modifying an existing GPL'ed project.

Actually, I think you can.  If you own the copyrights to all the code,
you can change the license at any time.  However, you can't stop
distributing the already publicly available GPL'd code, nor prevent
others from distributing it.

Since this person wants to develop it openly, and close its source
once it's developed, it's unlikely that he'd be able to get anyone to
pay for the closed version.  The GPL'd code will do everything the
closed code will do, or will be easy to modify to match the closed
version's featureset.