Re: [circle] GPL Violatin - no I wont

From: Jiri Baum
Subject: Re: [circle] GPL Violatin - no I wont
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 22:21:59 +1100

Hello,

Faried Nawaz:
> Actually, I think you can.  If you own the copyrights to all the code,

Well, yeah, if you own the copyrights you can do what you like, but David
Irvine doesn't, and he's already received a refusal from at least one of the
copyright owners - me (admittedly the bulk of my code could be removed or
clean-roomed reasonably easily).

IIRC, the major copyright owner is currently not on this list. I can contact
him, but I doubt he'll be enthusiastic about donating his work to a random
stranger. Certainly nothing I've seen so far would persuade me in his place.

I'm also dubious about the competence of anyone who uses the phrase "p2p
client or server"; and doing networking well requires a lot of competence.
The pricing structure also seems rather naïve.

> Since this person wants to develop it openly, and close its source
> once it's developed, it's unlikely that he'd be able to get anyone to
> pay for the closed version.

Actually, he's intending to do the ghostscript thing - make it closed first,
then open it later. That's a reasonable plan, if you have a good enough idea
(which he may, but he's not sharing it). However, at the pricing he's
suggesting, he'll have trouble breaking even just on transaction overheads,
let alone any programming work, or advertising, or anything else.

Jiri
--
Jiri Baum <address@hidden>                   http://www.baum.com.au/~jiri
  MAT LinuxPLC project --- http://mat.sf.net --- Machine Automation Tools