Re: [circle] GPL Violation - no I wont

From: David Irvine
Subject: Re: [circle] GPL Violation - no I wont
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 23:01:07 +0000

Hi
Many thanks for your comments and honesty. I wont discuss the ins and outs of the pricing model, I have been in business for many years and can easily do break even analysis, its really for me to work it out and if I went bust doing it, that's my issue.

I am not trying to confuse or certainly steal code, far from it. I consult on open source and have worked with it since the early 90's.

I am trying to find a method to fill the void between where open source is great

- code that works and if it's good enough managed and improved by the many

- People paid to develop code and release as open source is also great

- code that starts in uni etc. and goes OS is good

I do not want to write code that requires support - so that's not an option. I have spoken with Bruce Perens on these matters and have not come up with a solution yet - this is merely an attempt to do so and promote innovation.

Where I am coming form is - what if you have a great idea, one that will change computing forever (no I am not saying mine is - but it may be - who can tell). How to do you develop that idea and get an income source from doing such.

I want to develop something - get some payment from it, make it available to all (I will never charge charities or 3rd world countries) and then when you have an amount of recompense which you make clear at the beginning - the product becomes OS. In doing this also donating to projects in your IP sphere to make the system better must surely be good for all.

If you have another idea how I can live and develop this system in the shortest time then I am all ears. It looks like I will have to work and do it part time never the less as I am very broke. I am prepared to listen though.

On the p2p issues - I am not and never have proposed to be an expert here, I have been involved in networking since 1983 (I designed and implemented the worlds largest LAN/WAN using trad ethernet and t/ring in 1994) when CMSMA/CD was being ratified and never have I assumed lack of knowledge of somebody who does not fully understand all aspects of work I was involved in, instead I take the engineers route and teach and share knowledge / accept knowledge and brainstorm / argue etc. I hope you feel likewise.

I have used limewire a couple of times but have never looked into p2p and am very interested in an application of such as an add on to a project. I am keen to understand the peers connectivity through firewalls etc. and leaf nodes and all the wee bits I don't already know.  I am sure going through code will help but any suggestions / reading material you suggest will be welcome.

Anyhow again I thank you for your reply

David

On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 22:21 +1100, Jiri Baum wrote:
Hello,

Faried Nawaz:
> Actually, I think you can.  If you own the copyrights to all the code,

Well, yeah, if you own the copyrights you can do what you like, but David
Irvine doesn't, and he's already received a refusal from at least one of the
copyright owners - me (admittedly the bulk of my code could be removed or
clean-roomed reasonably easily).

IIRC, the major copyright owner is currently not on this list. I can contact
him, but I doubt he'll be enthusiastic about donating his work to a random
stranger. Certainly nothing I've seen so far would persuade me in his place.

I'm also dubious about the competence of anyone who uses the phrase "p2p
client or server"; and doing networking well requires a lot of competence.
The pricing structure also seems rather naïve.

> Since this person wants to develop it openly, and close its source
> once it's developed, it's unlikely that he'd be able to get anyone to
> pay for the closed version.

Actually, he's intending to do the ghostscript thing - make it closed first,
then open it later. That's a reasonable plan, if you have a good enough idea
(which he may, but he's not sharing it). However, at the pricing he's
suggesting, he'll have trouble breaking even just on transaction overheads,
let alone any programming work, or advertising, or anything else.

Jiri
David Irvine - Principle
Ayrshire Business Consulting Ltd.
http://www.open-source-consulting.org
Specialities include

*Dispute Resolution* - resolve client / supplier relationships where possible
- May suggest replacement of supplier (not us) where no resolution is possible (unusual)
*Project Management* - Manage works to ensure value for money from IT suppliers.
*Open Source Consulting* - The new way ! - free software, resilience reliability and no more license issues !
*Tender Management and creation* - Get what you need at the right cost
This message (including any attachments) is confidential and may be legally
privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, you should not disclose,
copy or use any part of it - please delete all copies immediately and notify
the our Helpdesk at address@hidden.

Any information, statements or opinions contained in this message (including
any attachments) are given by the author.  They are not given on behalf of
Ayrshire Business Consulting unless subsequently confirmed by an individual other than the author who
is duly authorised to represent Ayrshire Business Consulting Ltd.