Re: [Debian-sf-devel] New alexandria BASELINE: should we open up a new o

From: Tim Perdue
Subject: Re: [Debian-sf-devel] New alexandria BASELINE: should we open up a new one ? Where ?
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 15:12:25 -0600

On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 05:03:41PM -0600, Tim Uckun wrote:
> At 10:31 PM 10/26/2001 +0200, Frank Schulte wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >
> >I decided to not waiting for the VA Linux SFOE to come.
>
> Speaking of which...
> Does anybody have any clue as to when this might happen?

I wouldn't really ever expect an active, quality open source project to come
out of VA Linux. At the time that I bailed out, it was clear that the company
was thrashing and not able to sell their services, since the open source code
was available for free. Virtually no one was paying to have the SF system
installed, and no one was buying the "big" install services. The companies
that could afford the "big deals" already had the resources to install and
modify the code themselves.

Further, VA had set up some internal policies basically prohibiting us from
posting to the "SF Offsite" message board, posting bug fixes, security
notices, etc.

I've been laying low for the past two months since I quit VA, waiting to see
if the scuzzy managers would follow through on the open source code release,
but it's becoming painfully obvious that they won't (and it was obvious at the
time I quit as well).

I'm willing to put in significant effort -- and my obvious expertise with SF
-- on an active, open source, GPL fork of the code. I think a project name and
hosting location should be chosen, a new CVS tree and mailing lists should be
set up and a base 2.6 release should be rolled out to freshmeat and then we
should get busy and radically improve/clean up the system.

Since the current SF software was always written with the intention that it
was centered around SF.net, if we were to jettison that preconception, we
could make huge changes and cleanups to the codebase pretty quickly.

Tim

--
Founder - PHPBuilder.com / Geocrawler.com / SourceForge
Perdue, Inc.