[Debian-sf-devel] Modular extensions for SF...

From: Eric D Nielsen
Subject: [Debian-sf-devel] Modular extensions for SF...
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 09:20:58 -0500

Hello everyone,

This is slightly off topic for debian-sf, but as it seems to be the most
active open SF branch I'm posting here.  Hopefully the future of SFOE will be
known soon and end the uncertainity.

After the last flurry of emails over the possible extensions we're working on,
I sat down and started down the path Roland suggested for putting a few hooks
into the core SF code and then letting the modules be independant.

I'm in the process of putting together a spec on this method and hope to have
it availible by sometime next week.  I've been simultaneously developing one
module (extra foundry type stuff, almost done) and designing another
(increased security granularity) to understand the issues involved with
site/project type modules.

Here's the quick version:
-- Modules live in their own directory underneath a new "module" directory of
   www
-- modules create a seperate PG DB if they need new tables/attributes
   --- creating a copy of database.php that doesn't use the global $conn
   --- the module_db_connect will take a database name and return the
       connection, etc
-- module/admin/ will allow the activation/deactivation of availible modules
   --- activation created the DB referenced above if needed
   --- activation may in some cases require applying a supplied patch against
       the base code (ie the new security one may need to patch against
       session_require or logger to call its authorization engine)
   --- deactivation should removed said patch if applied
   --- deactivation does not delete the database, in case its re-activated
       later.

-- www/admin/ links to module/admin
-- project_tabs to be patched to check for additional modules used by a project

I'm also planning a "configuration" module that will allow the admin to
"Brand/customize" most of the menu's, images, change "SourceForge"->"foo", etc

Eric