[Debian-sf-devel] some thoughts about name and other

From: Soon-Son Kwon
Subject: [Debian-sf-devel] some thoughts about name and other
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 12:21:48 +0900

Today I could install the newest 2.6.X package via dselect
and found that it still contains the following statements in most pages:

---
VA Linux Systems and SourceForge are trademarks of VA Linux Systems,
Inc. Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds. All other
trademarks and copyrights on this page are property of their respective
owners. For information about other site Content ownership and sitewide
terms of service, please see the SourceForge Terms of Service. For
privacy policy information, please see the SourceForge Privacy Policy.
Content owned by VA Linux Systems is copyright 1999-2001 VA Linux
Systems, Inc. All rights reserved.
---

As many of us know that former "VA Linux Systems" changed their name to
"VA software" officially and they are focusing on sourceforge...

I read that they may release sourceforge open edition some day
from debian-sf homepage but I don't think anybody know the exact
date and not sure if it will actually happen or not.

I am not saying that they should open their souce code now
or they should change their license back to GPL-like one.
I do respect their big contribution to open source/free software
community by running sourceforge so far and wish them prosper much
more than now.

But I think at least the debian-sf needs to change something....
Current status may conflict the user because it shows the above
statement on many pages and even the name & icon at the front page
is all the same as the original sourceforge.

Hence my personal opinion is....
How about changing the name (debian-sf?) or at least modify those
statements & symbol icon at the front page as GNU savannah did?
I am not saying that we should get rid of all the VA-related stuff.

As I mentioned above, I do want VA prosper & keep running current
sourceforge... Even if we change the name & statements & icon,
we can show some big thank-you by including sourceforge icon/link
somewhere on the front page by default or anything other than that...
(In doing so, I want to inform you that the current sourceforge
icon in the debian-sf package and the original one differ...
They changed their icon already. :-) )

I worry this may result in some kind of debate.
Because I am not a good speaker nor English is
not my mother tongue, some of words may sound a little bit
aggressive or bold...if so, that's due to my lack of presentation skill.
I tried to be polite as much as I can...

Thank you very much.
--
           (o_             **WTFM**