Re: [Debian-sf-devel] [Patch #552] Fix $sys_lang param

From: Roland Mas
Subject: Re: [Debian-sf-devel] [Patch #552] Fix $sys_lang param
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 13:55:35 +0100

address@hidden (2002-10-30 07:46:34 -0500) :

> Comment:

> Applied, thanks.  I removed the language code transition from pt to
> pt-br, since the database field has not yet been enlarged.

For those waiting on that to happen: don't worry, I will do it.  There
are just a few problems that make it a non-trivial thing to do:

- you can't enlarge a column simply in PostgreSQL, you have to drop
  the column and recreate it ;
- you can't drop a column, you have to rename it to something else
  which will stay as a dead weight until the table is dropped ;
- so we need to rename the table and recreate it afterwards with the
  right column type, and feed the data from the old table to the new
  one ;
- but then the constraints (from the users table, at least another
  table related to the documentation manager, and maybe others) have
  been dropped, and we have to recreate them.

  It's possible, I will do it, it's just that it's not a matter of
five minutes work.

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

Qu'est-ce qui est jaune, qui pèse deux cents kilos et qui chante ?
Un sumotori qui a bu trop de saké.