Re: [Debian-sf-devel] SOAP/XML-RPC

From: Tim Uckun
Subject: Re: [Debian-sf-devel] SOAP/XML-RPC
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 11:13:43 -0700

Anyway, the loic from savannah had posted a paper about xmlrpcing the
savannah, but I dont know where it is going.
http://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=195

Interesting read. It seems like they are leaning to phpgroupware as a possible solution. I agree that it's probably a good idea to start with an existing framework if you want to write something from scratch (see http://xoopsforge.sourceforge.net/ ) but I suspect that you will not be able to provide the full capabilities of sf (especially login shells and CVS access might be tricky too).

I have been doing some research into this already and I can tell you no project matches the features of sourceforge. Here are some close competitors.

http://www.dotproject.net/demo.php
http://www.moregroupware.org/
http://www.phpcollab.com/product/login.php?session=false
http://www.tutos.org/homepage/index.html
http://www.phprojekt.com/

and the following which is written in zope

http://demo.iuveno-net.de/iuveno/Products/Proiektor

Of course I am not going to go into ones written in perl or java not to mention a thousand bug trackers out there.

I think it says something about the php language and community when so many competing projects exist that attempt to do the same thing yet it's impossible to combine functionalities to build one great one. Either PEAR should take over soon or some app framework should be "anointed" to be the preferred php application framework so people stop wasting time writing yet another app.

:wq
Tim Uckun
US Investigations Services/Due Diligence
 http://www.diligence.com/