Re: [Debian-sf-devel] SOAP/XML-RPC

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: [Debian-sf-devel] SOAP/XML-RPC
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 16:13:45 -0800 (PST)

> >Tell me, how hard is it to replace the html output of sf with xml.
> >Better yet use some xmlrpc lib to do the outputting.
> >As for the accepting posts, that cannot be that hard to create some
> >interceptor into the posting. A way to take the form variables and
> >store them in xml snippets, and then post them. Surly XMLRPC is the
> way
> >to do this?
>
> I think it would be very hard. I also don't know how you would handle
> sessions from a XML-RPC client. Would the sf server keep your session
> information if you were not using a browser?

I would build on top of the existing session and cookie handler in
the wide client. It uses Crypt::SSLeay and SSL via the lwp:
<grep use>
use LWP;
use LWP::Debug;
use HTTP::Request::Common qw (GET HEAD POST);
use HTTP::Response;
use HTTP::Cookies;
use File::Basename;

Here are some of the URLS it understands
<grep https>
my $req = POST ("https://sourceforge.net/account/login.php";,
my $req = HEAD "https://sourceforge.net/account/logout.php";;
my $req = GET ("https://sourceforge.net/project/admin/editpackages.php";
my $req = POST ('https://sourceforge.net/project/admin/newrelease.php'
my $req = GET ("https://sourceforge.net/project/admin/editreleases.php";
my $req = GET ("https://sourceforge.net/project/admin/editreleases.php";

How about just building on top of this, logging in is taken care of,
cookies, and sessions. Getting and posting data.
All we need to do is start munging the forms so they are more
scriptable. The SOAP::Lite module from perl is good and supports XMLRPC
i heard, I have used frontier::xmlrpc and it is easy to use.

What do you say that we intercepts these pages with some xmlrpc and
send that over the wire? This should be nothing more than replacing the
html output with xmlrpc syntax?

> >What do you think? Is this the right way to go? are you interested
> in
> >doing some testing with me?
>
> I don't know if it's the right way or not but I'm in.

OK. Well until I get my new netfinity running I am almost out of
diskspace. I need a server to test with. What do you say that I take
care of the client, and you the server? The urls I provided to you
would be good starting points, how about we start disecting them?

I am busy on a couple projects, but will take the time to get this
stupid project upload running. It is really annoying. My project on sf,
introspector.sf.net, I just setup my own debian incoming repository,
and am using dupload to put my files on there.

Why do i need to tell sf about a package, is it not enough to put all
the information into a control file, then maybe translate it into a
neutral xml file? If we can get the debian import running, I tell you,
many many people will be knocking on our door.

Does anyone have a test debiansf server we can use?

Oh, by the way, the coopx project I mentioned was to create a format
for transferring projects between servers. I personally would like to
just be able to read a debian control file and then import that. what
do you think?

mike

=====
James Michael DuPont