Re: [Debian-sf-devel] SOAP/XML-RPC

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: [Debian-sf-devel] SOAP/XML-RPC
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 02:06:20 -0800 (PST)

I just lost the mail I was sending to you!,
this yahoo really just kicked me out! Well, here is a shorter version
of my post.

--- tim <address@hidden> wrote:
> >What do you say that we intercepts these pages with some xmlrpc and
> >send that over the wire? This should be nothing more than replacing
> the
> >html output with xmlrpc syntax?
>
> Well first of all I don't want to use perl.
I understand and respect that, I am not good in php.
If you setup a framework in php, i will follow suite, and try and help
extend it.
The client code i have taken over from wide-cli is in perl and is fine
as a client. We can talk via xmlrpc.

> I also want to be clear
> about
> what you are saying.
> You seem to be saying that there is some client which acts like a
> proxy
> right? It fetches pages from sourceforge and then munges the page to
> produce XML?  I just want to be clear about what you are proposing.

It would be difficult to get the data to the client,
the client now parses the html pages. They can change and break the
system.

I propose to replace the html output from the server php code with
xmlrpc and send that over the exisiting connection. The client can talk
xmlrpc and send the needed information.

> >OK. Well until I get my new netfinity running I am almost out of
> >diskspace. I need a server to test with. What do you say that I take
> >care of the client, and you the server? The urls I provided to you
> >would be good starting points, how about we start disecting them?
>
> I have a machine at work which has debian testin on it but my home
> machine
> is a freebsd (ducks). I will have to put together something at home
> so I
> can work on this because my boss would not like it if I spent time at
> work
> on this.
>
> >Oh, by the way, the coopx project I mentioned was to create a format
> >for transferring projects between servers. I personally would like
> >just be able to read a debian control file and then import that.
> what
> >do you think?
>

> It's a good idea but one thing at a time :).

It might be easier to put the deb reader in the backend,
Christan said that that there are some backend perl scripts.
It might be easier to bypas the entire client server thing
and just upload an XML file with a DEB attached and inject it straight
into the db.....

> I figure it will take
> some
> time to dig through the code just to figure out what is going on. I
> also am
> presuming we will deal with the CVS head code right?
yes

=====
James Michael DuPont
http://introspector.sourceforge.net/