RE: [Debian-sf-devel] Plugins thingy, draft #2

From: Tim Perdue
Subject: RE: [Debian-sf-devel] Plugins thingy, draft #2
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 16:35:32 -0600

>Here's the state of the README.Plugins I've written so far.

Sorry I'm joining this late. If I understand the plugin architecture right, it essentially boils down to a method to add new subdirectories of isolated code to the system, and add simple navigation links so you can then drill down into those new subdirectories.

That sounds like a good way to accomplish that, but I'm not sure it's going to satisfy people's appetite for customization. For instance, I can see it does not solve our problem with multiple source code management tools, at least I don't think so. I don't see how, for instance, you would handle the stats gathering and management of multiple SCM tools using this system.

I'm a fan of keeping things as simple as possible so people can easily dig into it and customize it, and this should be simple and easy enough any could use it.

It doesn't really go into the "event driven" system that Tim Uckun mentioned. For instance, on update to a tracker item, I don't see any way of triggering my plugin at that point.

I'm not saying you should have that capability, I'm only saying it's not there. Adding it in puts on a whole new layer of complexity, I'm not sure if anyone would want to deal with.

Tim