Re: [Debian-sf-devel] Command Line Interface

From: Tim Perdue
Subject: Re: [Debian-sf-devel] Command Line Interface
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 16:00:20 -0600

Tim Uckun wrote:

I have been thinking about this for a while for the CodeX site at Xerox. My view of it is that each service should export aq subset of its API through a mechanism of some sort. Of course SOAP immediately comes to mind but there may be other ways... then the command line stuff can be simply built on top the SOAP API.

From a corporate standpoint the ability of a GF-like platform to be scriptable is key to integrate it with the existing project development processes in place and/or legacy applications.

A few thoughts on the manner.

It might be possible to write a simple shell script or a perl program which takes a command like
gforge address@hidden login

and turn it into
curl http://localhost/gforge/cli_api.php?action=login&userid=someuser&password=somepassword

in fact if you wanted to be more generic you could do this
curl http://localhost/gforge/cli_api.php?action=login&param1=someuser&param2=somepassword

At this point the php page could hand back some session ID which would have the user info, and a datetime stamp in it (so it expires) and the client could keep passing this sessionid back to the php page on each invocation.

I believe this would be the absolute "simplest thing that could possibly work".

You can even then use the same API and register it with a SOAP server thereby killing two birds with one stone.

That's been out on SF.net, for about 3 years, but never publicized. We started a system called SQUAL (sourceforge query abstraction layer) to do just that. Never finished it of course.

Try this for example:
https://sourceforge.net/squal/get_session_hash.php?user=foo&pass=foo2