Re: [Debian-sf-devel] Task Manager Rewrite

From: Roland Mas
Subject: Re: [Debian-sf-devel] Task Manager Rewrite
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 18:03:33 +0100

Tim Perdue (2002-12-18 08:10:39 -0600) :

> Roland Mas wrote:

[...]

>> // Local Variables:
>> // mode: php
>> // c-file-style: "bsd"
>> // End:
>
> Four lines in every file just for emacs?

Well, yes.  Four small lines.  And why not, after all?  It makes life
easier for those of us not using a sub-editor ;-), and ensures
compliance with your guidelines.  I personnally dislike indenting with
tabs (gratuitous waste of screen space).  I'm willing to comply, but
don't make that an extra effort for me (and others).  Oh and don't
worry, I'll add those lines to the files when I first open them, so
you don't have to add them yourself.

>>>-Easily spawn tasks from tracker items
>>>     (if a bug is submitted, you should be able to easily spin that
>>>into task manager, same for patches)
>>   That's not exactly the way I thought of it.  Bugs/patches/tracker
>> items and tasks are independent of each other, in my mind.  Again,
>> please make that behaviour disablable.
>
> I think it's just a button or checkbox in the tracker, like "add a
> task for this bug". So it's optional.

  Cool.

>>>-when a constraining task is delayed, you must recursively
>>>     push back other tasks where necessary
>>   Um.  Depends what you use for the end dates.  If they record
>> deadlines set by management, for instance, you can't just push them
>> back as easily.
>
> That's how visio and ms project seem to handle it.

  Well, that's no excuse, is it?

> I guess they assume that mgmt are the ones doing the modifications,
> so if they push back a date, you always see the dependent tasks
> moved back on the gantt chart as well.

  Mh.  I see your point, but I still feel mine is valid.  Please make
that behaviour optional too :-)

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

With the arrest of Dimitry Sklyarov it has become apparent that it is not
safe for non US software engineers to visit the United States. - Alan Cox